November 30, 2010

{The Big Day}

"Today feels like Christmas because today we get our gift." - Daddy I can't believe our Christmas is finally here.

We have waited and waited and waited for this day! Me probably more so than your Daddy. And me not so patiently either. Your Daddy and I talked about this day as we lay in bed last night. He was calm and nonchalant; I was not!

To me, so much was riding on this day. The news would change our lives forever; set the course for the future dynamics of our family. Would Kayla be growing up with a brother? Would we have a boy to raise? Or would she grow up with a sister? There was so much nervousness and excitement wrapped up inside this present today.

Until 3pm arrived, today dragged by so slowly....

Little Girl, we are so excited to have you in our family! Another girl is so exciting! Kayla, Daddy and I got to see your cute little face and cute little ears and cute little fingers in 4D today. There you were, all 12oz of you on a big flat screen TV in front of us. It took the ultrasound technician 3 attempts to get your photo because she said you just wanted to cuddle in and kept hiding your face with your arm. I said that was fine if you wanted to stay a cuddler, I would take that. Kayla wasn't surprised when the nurse announced you were a girl, she responded with cool confidence, "I know" and then said your name would be "Tikky", after our cat. That caused us to shake with laughter. Don't worry, your name won't be Tikky.

Besides getting to see your beautiful face, we learned that you are growing big and strong, literally. Already you are at the 95th percentile for size - that means you're healthy and that makes us happy, and relieved. They guage your size based on your head, abdomen and femur measurements - guess you have good structure, organs and bones! We saw your brain developing, your 4-chambered heart beating (153 beats/minute sounded good!), your aorta, your kidneys, your spinal cord, your little legs just kicking and stretching away and lots of other things that are hard to make out and remember on a fuzzy black and white screen. When we pointed out each of your features to Kayla as we were seeing them on the TV, she pointed and said "Awww, look! She's in her crib!" Yes, Daddy said, she's in her Mommy Crib.

I was amazed, Little Girl, at the advancement of technology in the last three years since your sister came along! At my last ultasound, three years ago, there was no option to see a baby in 4D, there were no flat screen TVs in the rooms, I could not buy the ultrasound photos on CD, and this time I only had to drink 16oz of water in one hour instead of 32oz! All in just three years! As I lay there thinking about all of this change and improvement, I imagined what it will be like for you someday. Someday you will lie on a table waiting to hear and see the good news of a little one developing inside your tummy. What will science and technology hold for you in all these years to come? It will be so exciting to find out!

What a day. What excitement. What relief. What joy. And now begins the count down to your arrival. I must begin shopping for you sweet baby girl...


Oh, by the way, I think its safe to say now, I thought you were a girl. I just didn't want to say it out loud. I was a bad guesser the first time around with your sister, so I didn't dare announce my guess this time. But, deep down, I just had this feeling you were going to be a girl!

P.S. As it turns out, Daddy didn't tell me this until much later after the fact, but he thought you were going to be a boy, but he's excited to have another little girl to love!

No comments:

Post a Comment