July 12, 2011

Maternity Leave

It's been quite a thrilling twelve weeks Little Girl! At times it felt like time was standing still and hours felt like days and then at other times, it felt like time was flying by. Now looking back on these days since April 19, I can't believe this time has come and gone already.

I enjoyed our relaxing times sitting outside in a rocking chair by the waterfall soaking up the sun and peaceful breezes, I enjoyed rocking you to sleep each night, I enjoyed cuddling with you as we both took a nap mid-day in your rocking chair. Of course, we'll still have many of these times together! There were times when I got things all wrong and I felt like I would never get it right, and there were times I definately wanted to pull my hair out and there were times I felt like I didn't know how I was going to make it through another day, but... I did make it through. And so did you.

And although I feel like things are great and easy now, I still get things mixed up. Like just last night. I thought for sure you were cranky because you were tired and you cried and cried as I tried to get you to sleep, but it turns out you were happy to be unswaddled lying on the floor kicking and playing for a half hour. How silly of me! How could I not have known that?? At times I still can't figure out your schedule. One day you sleep for four hours. The next day, just one. One day you eat almost nothing, the next day you eat all day long. Some days you fight going to sleep so I have to rock you and walk you around and around; other times you fall asleep quickly on my lap. But still, you are a great baby!

You let us know when you are not getting enough attention. Funny how someone so small can demand so much attention! You let us know when we haven't looked you in the eye enough and haven't talked enough to you. You get bored easily that way. We see your sad face and when we start talking to you, you quickly give us a big smile. You blow bubbles. You are constantly drooling. When we follow the rules of the Happiest Baby on the Block book, you do great - swaddling, sucking, swaying, sush'ing and stomach position. These five "S's" pretty much sum up your life right now!

Your taking a bottle great these days and I look forward to sharing some of the feeding and nightly duties with your Daddy. Daddy likes to keep you entertained although you don't seem to appreciate his calming techniques just quite yet, but you will. He even had the responsibility of getting you dressed one morning while I was out and when I came home you looked so cute in an outfit he put together. It's just that it was on backwards. That's okay, it made me smile and you didn't seem to mind.

In just your short 84 days of life, you have already been on an airplane, visited another state, been in two different time zones, and had several play dates with various friends. We've wrapped a lot into a short amount of time! Can't wait to see you keep growing strong and beautiful, Little Girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment